I have a problem with knits. It's not a secret. I was feeling more confident about knits until I met this green fabric last month at G-Street Fabrics in Falls Church, VA.
|Ridiculous amount of rolled up edge!|
Maybe I'm over-reacting. I've been known to do that. After I got the pieces cut out, I experimented with the suggestions from my previous rant. I tried pressing. I tried spray starch. Some of the techniques helped, but I still wasn't satisfied. I just want knits to behave like wovens and that will never happen. Maybe I just shouldn't be sewing knits.
|Click here or see sidebar for Pattern Review|
Kwik Sew's instructions often are much easier than other pattern company's instructions. I struggled trying to follow Burda's instructions for a front placket. Kwik Sew's instructions were as easy as pie. The band is interfaced and that made the knit behave a little better.
I'm not sure about the fiber content because I found this fabric on the $2.97 table at G-Street Fabrics. I suspect it's cotton because it pressed so well. (You'd think I would have been able to press out those rolled up edges!) When it was time to press up the hem, it held the crease better than any knit I've had the displeasure to press. I had to use my walking foot on any seam that wasn't serged. The fabric tended to drag and would have made a huge gap when I reached the end of a seam. I used the walking foot when sewing the upper and under collars together and when top stitching the placket. So that dragging wouldn't be an issue, I used the cover stitch capability of my serger to hem the sleeves and bottom.
In spite of the knit's idiosyncrasies, this was an easy shirt to sew. The pattern was so easy, you could almost ignore the knit fabric. I'll make more of these tops if I can find knits that know how to behave.