Thursday, April 5, 2012

Spring Break

At the MLK Jr. Memorial
I just returned from a visit to northern Virginia and Our Nation's Capital. My daughter and I split the distance between us and met there to spend a few days together.  The main purpose of the trip was to see the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial.

We stayed in Fairfax, VA and our hotel was about 5 miles from G Street Fabrics' Falls Church location.  My original plan was to visit the Rockville, MD location while in the area, but when I realized how close I was to Falls Church, the plan changed. This location seems to have more square footage than the Rockville location (The Rockville store relocated to a smaller site a few years ago).  When you walk in, you think you are entering a small Bernina dealership, but when you go downstairs, you find yourself in a huge fabric store.  It felt a little cavernous – there is room for a lot more merchandise without the store being over-crowded.  I think of G Street Fabrics as a department store because of their wide selection and their prices. I took a quick peek at a price tag in the Designer department ($59/yd), and my purchases averaged $12/yd but great bargains can be found on the $2.97 table.

I needed fabric for spring/summer sewing and here is what I bought:

This light green waffled knit, from the $2.97 table, will become a polo shirt.



My daughter has developed and interest in cooking and my friend Denise designs and sews aprons.  Because she is a huge fan of SpongeBob Squarepants, she selected this pineapple fabric for her apron. (Five bonus points if you know the connection between SpongeBob and a pineapple.)


This pumpkin colored cotton twill will probably be shorts.


The khaki colored twill (with a little lycra) will end up as classic chinos.  This fabric is also from the $2.97 table.


The cotton shirting coordinates with both bottom weights.



I'm working on a quilt in which the binding was to be pieced from the scraps leftover after cutting the block pieces.   Wouldn't you know it, I was short about 8 inches.  This batik will finish the binding.


Even after buying all this fabric from the Falls Church location, I was tempted to stop at the Rockville, MD location on the way home.  Traffic on I-495 was horrible so I dismissed the idea.

This was an exceptional spring break.  The next time I see my daughter will be next month at her graduation from the University of Virginia.  That occasion is likely to be more hectic and won't be conducive to quality mother-daughter time together.  She is much more tolerant of my fabric shopping time now that she is older so we had a wonderful time together.



7 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice that we can have such lovely, adult relationships with our daughters? My visit to Austin was wonderful too.
    Treina is always posting great finds from the bargain table and it seems you found some great stuff too. Have a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so jealous that you got to visit the Memorial. I planned to go last fall and then the move came up...gotta make that happen, soon! Glad you had a wonderful time with your daughter but believe me you will get more of these moments. It's just different from when they were young growing up and always needing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture. Glad you found such great fabric for such an economic price. Doesn't Sponge Bob live in a pineapple under the sea???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful vacation to spend with your daughter. Can't wait to see what all you sew up from your fabric finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The MLK memorial is truly amazing . . . photos just don't do it justice. It's even more beautiful at night, along with the nearby World War II memorial. Glad you had a wonderful time in my hometown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your daughter for her graduation from such a prestigious school. I love to stop at G Street on my way to visit my son in Columbia MD; isn't it fun to drool over the dressy fabrics?

    ReplyDelete