Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I'm Down with OPP

You down with OPP (Yeah you know me)
Who's down with OPP (Every last homie)
You down with OPP (Yeah you know me)
Who's down with OPP (All the homies) 


          From O.P.P. by Naughty by Nature

Author's Note:  My definition of OPP is infinitely cleaner than Naughty by Nature's definition.  I mean Other People's Projects.  And I'm more "ambivalent" than "down".

Gingham toddler jumper
My OPPs are few and far between.  I sew for a sewing ministry that was started at my church.    I'm thankful that I have a skill and passion for sewing and the means to indulge it.  I believe the best way to demonstrate my gratitude is to sew for the ministry.  (Remember the Parable of the Talents).  Our primary purpose is to make clothes for infants and toddlers in shelters, but we've also sewn walker bags for a seniors in an assisted living facility owned by our church.  I feel good after the sewing is finished, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "I can't wait to get back to my own sewing!"  Clearly, my motives need adjustment.  Thoughts like that defeat the purpose of sewing for a ministry.

Crib quilt and dust ruffle draped over the coffee table
My other OPPs are baby's room accessories for my sister and my soon-to-be-nephew.  My sister was so excited when, after a long and disappointing search, she finally found fabric she loved for the baby's room.  Her happiness was contagious.  I sent her a picture of the crib quilt when I finished it and she called me back immediately to tell me I was "the best big sister in the world"!  I could hear her smile over the phone.

Which brings me to my point.  OPPs aren't bad when they are appreciated.  I  am happy to be sewing for children in shelters and my pregnant sister.  Even when sewing for unappreciative clods, I'm building good Karma.  These occasional projects keep things in perspective and force me to tame that little selfish sewer inside of me.   Most sewers readily admit that OPPs can be a PITA and we do as few of them as possible.  But I think we enjoy the feeling of making someone else happy and sewing for a greater good.

9 comments:

  1. Beautifully expressed! I like the OPP abbreviation. Like you, I love doing OPPs for those who appreciate. Last night and today I am working on clothes for my grandaughter's new AG doll. Too fun. But there is not enough time in my life to sew for unappreciative OPPs.

    Your sewing ministry is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No better way to show your L*VE than to share. Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How generous of you. These are wonderful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work and a little good karma can't be a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am ambivalent about OPP's. I try and discern where I am needed the most. For example, my husband teaches at-risk kids. When one of them is participating in a contest and needs an alteration - I do it. A lot of their families do not have the resources. But I refuse most others alterations because I don't like doing them, and I know they have the resources. It took me awhile to discover my boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, OPP's for those who appreciate it or pay well, and even then, I've been getting pickier and pickier about what I do. So not cool to be stressed about OPP's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Burda sheets! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Idea of a sewing ministry thank GOD for selfless people

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not caring to sew for others I realize is a selfish thing. You put it so eloquently that I have to reflect. Thank you for writing that post.

    ReplyDelete