I did not use a published pattern for this quilt – I designed it all by myself. I devised a layout that used only three simple-to-piece blocks:
2. Churn Dash
3. Nine Patch Star
Since this is my third quilt and it uses only three blocks, I named this layout "Third Time Lucky". As a first design, this layout isn't great, but it isn't bad, either. The print fabrics were packaged and sold as a "medley", so I didn't have to worry about whether or not they coordinated. My job was to find the background fabric. I wanted something "batik-y", since the other fabrics were batiks. I did find a neutral batik, but I didn't buy enough and it was gone when I went back for more. I used traditional blocks this time and I realized I preferred a more a contemporary look in quilts. I enjoyed the design aspect of quilting. While coming up with the layout shown, I devised a several layouts for my future quilts.
The design was incidental, though. With this quilt, my goal was to improve my piecing skills. I put off quilting for a long time because I was worried about making neat looking corners. I made good-looking corners within a block. The corners formed when blocks were sewn together still needed some work.
By the time I finished assembling the quilt top, my blouse fabric arrived. I was glad to have a quilt to work on while I waited for the blouse fabric. Otherwise, I would have felt compelled to fill my time with cleaning and other useful housework.